Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 3: Coba village and Mayan Encounter!!!!!

Day 3:
Today was probably my favorite day.......a few hours after it started. Now if you read yesterdays blog, I wasn't feeling to well after too much sun and Tequila! So this morning I woke up still feeling like crap. We were told to eat a huge breakfast because lunch was going to be late. My hangover was still in full force so I tried choking down a piece of bread and some fruit. Then we sat in the lobby waiting for our bus to pick us up. Now being the prepared person that I am I made sure to pack a drug store of pharmaceuticals and stomache remedies "just in case". Well do you think I remembered to bring them from my hotel room...no. So I sat in the lobby contamplating making myself sick to feel maybe a little better. Oh well at least there will be a bathroom on the bus we are taking on our tour..which by the way takes an hour and a half to get to. No such luck, a 12 seater van pulls up and we are on our way. Did I also mention that I have the bladder the size of a pea, so I have to pee constantly. So I was a little concerned.

Our first stop was Coba it is one of the oldest Mayan settlements on the peninsular. It also has the highest pyramid in the area and the greatest concentration of sacbeob (Mayan roads constructed from stone. When we arrived it was around 32c(89f). We were met there by a Mayan tour guide who was going to show us around then we were off on our own for an hour to explore the pyramids. Here is a few photos from Coba, can't explain them all because this is only the 1st hour of our tour....and this blog would go on FOREVER! One quick note about this photo, it was a game played by the Mayans, and the losing team was beheaded!!

Then we headed to the largest pyramid and the view from the top was amazing!

After this we headed back ,stopping to see other ruins along the way. Then it was back in the van and off to the Mayan Village. We found it interesting to see houses that were made of mud and straw and barely held together but had a brand new Nissan or Volkswagon in the driveway? still wasn't too sure about that, tried to take a picture but, have you ever been on a bus in Mexico??? They drive a little fast, so my pictures were blurred.

After a short trek through the jungle we arrived at the Mayan village where we to change into our swimsuits. Privacy, not an option. I changd in a little hut with cloth on all four sides and it was windy!! needless to say I changed fast. Then we were off to trek through the jungle to where we would be ziplining acoss a lake
They told us after we got across about the alligators underneath us!!!

Then we did some more treking through the jungle to the "cenote" underground cave filled with water. We were met by a Mayan Shaman who performed a blessing ceremony for us before we entered the cave That's me on the end!

After that we repeled down into the "cenote" which was amazing, after hikiking and climbing pyramids a swim in a cool cave was much needed!
After that we did some kayaking on a lake, then the woman in the village made us lunch. It was an amazing experience. Then it was back to the van to head home, with one last stop on the way. When in Mexico everything ends with...............................

4 comments:

jerlyn said...

So cool! Did you feel the spirits
at the Ruins, I really did in
Chizeneza years ago. On the team
sport, I think it was the Cpt. of
the winning team who had the honor
of being beheaded. Not a big incentive to win, nowadays.
I remember having too many Tequillas my first day or 2 as well. Your pictures are amazing,
looking forward to seeing them
all.

Captain Dumbass said...

It was the whole team, and I thought they had their hearts cut out.

PS. Black for a sunny day?

Chris said...

That was an amazing trip & those were 3 great posts. I'm so jealous!

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Truly incredible.

Asphodel said...

Thats pretty awesome seriously, I can't wait to get out of my dust bowl and just jump head first into a bucketful of nature!